* * * * * * *
“He who heeds discipline shows the way of life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray.” Proverbs 10:17
I have become aware of some disturbing news about the Global Leadership Summit (GLS) 2018, and how it will be kicked off.
The WCA has made the decision to make a “live acknowledgement” approximately 10 minutes prior to Session #1 on August 9, 2018. The webinar that described this announcement was directed to the host site producers and tech staff of the GLS.
The Summit is God’s Event
By way of introduction, the following statement was made on the webinar:
“First off, the Summit is God’s event. It’s always been God’s event, not about one person. So it’s not something that we felt the ministry had to pause for a year.”
This statement is fraught with troublesome issues. Several inferences are obvious:
- The WCA is reassuring the host sites that remain that they are participating in an event that belongs to God.
- At the same time, the WCA implies that the host sites that have pulled out of the GLS have made a mistake by choosing to not participate in this event because it belongs to God.
- By ascribing God’s name to and ownership of the GLS, one is not permitted to argue against it. It compares to the age old dilemma posed by “that” friend who would say to you, “God told me . . . (and then fill in the blank).“ If God told that person something, then the conversation ends. One can’t debate or question that which is of God.
- The WCA falsely concludes that because the GLS belongs to God, they must automatically hold the event this year.
- It could well be argued that if indeed the GLS is God’s event, the WCA ought to hit the pause button this year! After all, God is the Defender of the oppressed. The women have been oppressed at the hands of the powerful. First, by Bill Hybels, and more recently by the leadership of Willow Creek. Until the truth is revealed regarding the women’s claims, would it not be wise for the WCA to err on the side of caution and on behalf of the women who claim personal violation?
- It is technically true that the GLS is “not about one person.” But:
○ That one person originated the GLS.
○ That one person traveled the world representing the GLS.
○ That one person was the face of the GLS.
○ That one person was looked to by all other WCA senior leadership to give them their marching orders.
○ That one person raised untold millions of dollars for the WCA and GLS.
○ That one person’s own star power attracted other stars to participate in the GLS.
○ It is this same one person’s inappropriate conduct (while traveling globally on behalf of the WCA & GLS) with women (not his wife) that is at the center of the biggest scandal in the 26 year history of this iconic ministry.
No one but no one would ever say, “Michael Jordan was just one player on the Chicago Bulls.” Technically true, but it would be disingenuous. Michael Jordan was the Chicago Bulls. And so it is also true: Bill Hybels was Willow Creek Community Church and the Willow Creek Association and the GLS. His fingerprints cover, and his DNA permeates every aspect of these ministries.
Transparency and Criticism
The WCA communicated to host site leaders that they have valued transparency, but they feel that transparency has resulted in them being criticized. So, to avoid more criticism, they are keeping this “live acknowledgement” secret right up until the last possible minute.
First, this conviction that the WCA has been transparent, as stated in the webinar, contradicts what I have heard from the women. I have spoken to the women and I believe their testimonies that the WCA’s claims to previous transparency are not true.
I wrote an entire email to the WCA pleading for clear (transparent) communication (Email 6). When something is transparent, it is clearly seen. When words are transparent, the meaning behind those words are clearly understood. The WCA has not communicated clearly. They have not been transparent.
Second, the WCA feels that they have been criticized. I submit that the WCA has not been criticized. Criticism has no redeeming value. Criticism is a put down. Criticism makes the recipient feel smaller. What I and several others have sought to do in communicating with the WCA (and elders) is to instruct, give advice, admonish, correct. Correction has great redeeming value . . . if received and acted upon. When words of correction and admonishment are NOT received humbly and processed by those to whom they are directed, those same words are often viewed as criticism by the receivers of those words.
“Instruct the wise, and they will be even wiser.
Teach the righteous, and they will learn even more.” Proverbs 9:9 (NLT)
“The way of a fool is right in his own eyes,
but a wise man listens to advice.” Proverbs 12:15 (RSV)
Third, it appears the WCA thinks they will again be “criticized.” This time, for their “live acknowledgement.” May I assure the WCA that:
- There is no time like the present to announce their sorrow over how the women have been treated.
- Apologize specifically to the women for each of the false accusations uttered against them.
- Since you cannot prove Bill’s innocence, show immediate concern and compassion for the women as secular corporations have done. Note: you can only do this if the WCA and GLS have truly separated themselves from Bill Hybels’ influence as well as devotion to and communication with him.
- They do not have to wait until August 9 to apologize to the women for any communications that have gone to other parts of the world supporting the elders’ initial narratives of Bill’s innocence and the women’s lies, and the former leaders’ collusion.
- Apologize in full for exporting Bill’s and Willow Creek’s narrative as truth to your global leaders.
- Apologize for sending sales teams into the field to reassure WCA partners with that same false narrative.
- They do not have to wait to announce they agree that a totally independent third party investigator with expertise in clergy abuse is needed to find out the truth behind this sordid affair.
- STAND UP AND DEMAND a gold standard investigation into all of Bill Hybels’ actions OUTSIDE of any construct from the WCA or Willow elders or Willow attorneys.
- Then let the outcome stand on its own merit.
These announcements could be made TODAY. And there would not be a word of “criticism” from those who want to know the truth.
But it does not appear the “acknowledgement” will include any such thing. If it did, it would be wise and advisable to make the acknowledgement NOW.
As a former staff person from Willow Creek has communicated:
Willow’s leaders need a total commitment to discover truth and then do what’s right. They can do that anytime. If they think the women are obstructing or lying, they should say it. This can’t be (and shouldn’t be portrayed as — tho’ it will) a ‘negotiation’ between two ‘sides.’ It’s not about a ‘list.’ It’s about a will-to-truth that will be unmistakable should it ever make it to the forefront of this sorry story. The women’s stories are already on record!
The House of Cards Narrative Continues
I have been struck as of late, how much great insight and wisdom and advice and admonitions, etc. have been offered to the WCA and elders since late March 2018. These truths, many times difficult to read, difficult to admit, difficult to face, appear to have been largely ignored. I have been told, “We hear you, Rob.” I suspect others have been told the same thing. Yet the narrative from Willow Creek platforms continues largely unchanged. And when the narrative does change … ever so slightly … it causes MORE questions because the new narrative contradicts the old.
I have not forgotten about the elephants in the room from my first post. I want to believe that the elders and WCA have not either, but all indications point in the opposite direction. Please heed the hard truths and difficult discipline that have come your way these last 4 months.
Rather than address the #MeToo issue which is waaaaaay premature, in my view, how about addressing the subject of narcissism in ministry at the GLS? Some session recommendations:
Identifying Narcissism in the Pulpit
The Almost Impossible Task of Holding a Narcissist Accountable
A workshop for elder boards dealing with a narcissistic leader
And whatever you do, please, please, PLEASE do not follow through with the suggested segment at the GLS addressing how men are not hiring women because they don’t know how to act around them — that men don’t want to put themselves in that vulnerable* position (*my word). Such a segment would be the ultimate slap in the face to the women who have bravely stepped forward, the same women to whom the leadership of Willow Creek has vainly expressed their deepest care and listening (sarcasm intended.)
Would that the WCA heed the instruction, advice, and correction from the many voices that have sought the ultimate good of the women, Bill Hybels, Willow Creek Church and the Willow Creek Association. To ignore a myriad of well-intended admonitions would indicate at a minimum, a less than humble and teachable spirit. At its worst, it would sadly reveal a direct contradiction to the event scheduled just days from now that bears its name, the Global Leadership Summit.
Who will ultimately suffer if the WCA fails to heed discipline, and responds to this “controversy” with anything less than a fierce commitment to righteousness and the truth?
Who will be led astray?
What global consequences will result?
The need for true leadership from the WCA has never been greater. May the Global Leadership Summit choose to use their influence wisely.
* * * * * * *